Monday 19 January 2015

A clean home is a healthy home!

Do you hate cleaning?....I know I do but hey, someone has to do right?  and that my lady friends is usually us...well especially if we want it done properly and and to our satisfactory!

You probably think that I'm a clean freak when you see all the photos of my kitchen and bathrooms, but believe me when I tell you, they certainly don't look like that everyday...trust me!

Being a mum of 4 boys (two teen still at home), well one's 15 and the other 12 but I'm sure you get were I'm heading, cleaning up after them and giving the house a somewhat spotless appearance, is a full-time job!

I'm certainly no different to the average stay at home mum, but I do like having a clean home and am always trying to use non chemically based products which is always better for both our health and that of the environment. But lets face it, everything has chemicals of some sort in it even the "Natural" ones, but I try to go green whenever I can.

I've sourced many a different cleaning remedy here and there and have asked anyone willing to admit what they, or their grandmother or mother used.

I've been flabbergasted by some of the old remedies and by jingoes they really do work!

Who would've thought that cleaning windows or glass would be a breeze when just using some water mixed with a bit of vinegar and a couple of drops of lavender and lemon essential oil? I tell you, I'll never use windex and newspaper ever again.






I've also heard that by adding a tablespoon of cornflour to 1 litre of water works well too, use a micro-fibre cloth to wash and use another dry one to wipe!

Did I mention the good 'ol "bi-carb soda"?...OMG this stuff is amaze-balls! I've cleaned my oven twice now with it and it's probably cleaner than when it was brand new!

I've cooked 2 roast porks in it now and you know how much mess they make due to getting the skin to crackle? I swore after trying to clean the oven (with normal oven cleaner) the first time that I would never do it again, but that soon went by the wayside over christmas!


Usually when I do a roast (lamb), I place it in an oven bag and voila' no mess woohoo, but you can't do that with a roast pork unfortunately so the good 'ol bi-carb strikes again.









All you have to do is mix it into a paste with a little water and spread it over the oven (make sure oven is cool) and leave over night. The next morning you just wipe down and clean with hot soapy water (use gloves) and just like magic...it's all shiny and brand new again. You may have to repeat if necessary.

To clean your grout in the bathrooms, again use bi-carb and water made into a paste and scrub using an old toothbrush, then rinse well!

To make sure mould never forms (especially) in your bathroom, get plenty of air to the room by leaving a window open, turning on an air vent when showering, wipe down tiles after use and leave the shower door open when not in use. Also, make sure you take off and wipe the plastic seal under glass screen doors as it can be a haven for mould.
 For cleaning (glass) shower screen doors, use the remedy of water, vinegar, lavender and lemon essential oils as above...not only does it clean the glass, but it leaves a beautiful aroma in the bathroom too.

To clean your drains, don't use bleach or other detergents, a more natural way is to pour some boiling water and a handful of salt down it. Clean around the top by rubbing with a cut lemon.








If your like me and are always at your desk, clean your keyboard (where germs are constantly lurking) with a damp micro-fibre soft cloth, add a dab of Eucalyptus oil and not only will you have germ free typing, but a wonderful aroma added to the room as well.

Do the same with all of your door handles....how many times do they get used and forgotten about?

If you have a pool too, don't leave it up to your creepy crawly to get the tiles perfectly clean and don't forget...it can't get into tight corners!
So how do you keep your pool tiles from mould....bi-carb! Yes bi-carb will bring them back to "like new" within minutes. Just use with a little elbow grease and a scrubbing brush or cloth and don't worry about it getting into the water, the creepy crawly can eat it up no probs!




If you have your own favourite remedy or anything else to add, please let me and my viewers know

No comments:

Post a Comment