Friday 6 December 2013

SIX DAYS TO GO


I can't believe it's down to days not weeks or months, it's almost all ours...hip hip hooray!

With the shower screens being installed on Tuesday morning, when I went back to have a look at the finished product...the mirror in the main bath was missing :(

I found out later from the SS that the vanity was too high and needed to be dropped before the mirror could go on....phew that's a relief, I thought it was something major.

He said that the carpenters will be on board Thursday to fix it up and the mirror will be done on Monday. Then I bumped into my neighbour (across the road) another happy MJ customer at our local post office and he said that my appliances had been delivered...suffice to say, I was jumping for joy...crazy ha?

Sure enough there they were sitting pretty in my garage, lucky for the tilers still being there so I could take a look.

That brings us to yesterday (Thursday) OMG what a start to the day, it was crazy...I loved it.
There were so many tradies coming and going I couldn't keep up, nor could I tell who was doing what...epic.

We had guys connecting the recycled water, guys connecting the gas and hot water system thingy, tillers doing the flooring, the chippy doing the vanity, the appliances getting put in, there was a guy doing something with the alarm sensors on the doors to the laundry and internal garage door, then some guys came and washed the house down, then to top it off we had our fly screens and security door getting put on ....EPIC!

To top off the morning blitz, our copping and waterline tiles were going to be started at around 10am as well (thanks to our wonderful SS who allowed for us to organise the interior start to the pool since it wouldn't interfere with the finishing touches to the home)...until I got a message at about 11am from the supervisor for our pool saying the tiler won't get there until about 2.30pm...damn it.

When I got to the house at 2.30pm, the clouds were darkening up and the wind was ferocious and I thought, there's no way this guy's gunna start today and he'll probably won't be back tomorrow if this storm that seems to be brewing gets any worse.

As it was, the wind blew the clouds away...hello sunshine! That's until the tiler said that he thought that we were going to have travertine coping not tiles and that he didn't have a cutter big enough to cut them!!!! Are you kidding me???????

Months back, way back in the beginning of the pool build, we thought that travertine was the way to go and we were also going to do travertine pavers or tiles around the surrounding pool area. Whilst this would've looked nice, we decided that since we have such a large area of view from both the alfresco looking onto the pool area and vice versa, if we did so then what would we have gone on the alfresco to tie it in.

A couple of months ago (can't remember exactly), when we were choosing our internal tiles at our friends tile business Manago Tiles (plug), I noticed these beautiful outdoor tiles that I fell in love with  and would look amazing around the pool so we decided on going with them instead of travertine.

We took a sample tile into Award pools not long after to show them what we would like to do for the coping and Brad (owner/director) said that they would be fine and due to them being 600 x 600, he recommended that the tiler cut them to suit (400 x 600) on site and for us and not to have them cut before hand.
The only thing we needed to do once we ordered them, was to get the square edging put on at an extra price but sooooooo worth it.

So getting back to the story of the tiler....(sorry I do tend to make a short story long), this shows that there was no communication between Brad and our pool supervisor Matt, so in the end this poor tiler was beside himself with fear as I was about to rip someones head off. In the mean time, he tried cutting the tile with the tile cutter that our internal tillers were using when again he said 'oh no this aint gunna work'...are you freaking kidding me!

I ranted and threw my arms up in the air and said.....bugga...NOT, but you could just imagine the words I would've said! I couldn't believe it, after having such a wonderful start to the morning with everything inside, it was disastrous outside...grrrrrrrr.
The tiler then admitted to me that he had never worked with these types of tiles before and was worried that when he cut the tile, the edge wouldn't perfect. I told him that in order to get a straight edge once you cut them, all you have to do is grind them a little.

Now to explain that further, the tiles are not smooth nor should they be around a pool anyway, but they have a textured body to them so when you cut them, the edge is a little jagged. This edge butts up to whatever surround you have and he was worried that it would be seen. I told him that there would be an expansion joint in between anyway so that would hide it...problem solved!

Our internal tiler who is also doing our outdoor tiles (4th Jan) also tried to tell him what I already explained, so we finally figured that all the pool tiler needed to do, was to get a bigger tile cutter and just get on with it.

He then said that he wouldn't be able to make a start today...der (it's now bloody 3.30pm) the wind was picking up again and the clouds looked just as nasty as they did earlier so he said that he'll be back tomorrow at about 7 in the morning.

That now brings me to today, 5.30am this morning I was up writing this when I had to leave it midway through until I got back to finish it off.
Upon greeting him at 7am (like he said he'd be there), he said that he figured out what to do with the tiles and all would be ok...phew.

He dribbled on saying that he could only get the screeding done and probably wouldn't get time to put any copping on...again....grrrrrrr.

So hopefully we have something to see come Monday...end rant!

In the meantime look at how things are looking on the inside

main bathroom - no mirror :(



my brand new appliances..whoop whoop!



OMG I'm going to loooooooove cooking again


range hood (like you can't tell)


dishhhhh washhher


how yummy is this oven???



no explanation needed here


that's for the recycled water pump thing-o-me-gig!




OMG...my oven is installed


OMG OMG



hallway from master looking toward lounge room 


lounge room


tiles haven't been cleaned yet so it's pretty hard to see how nice they really look


this is where we'll have a carpet inlay put in in the billiards room




eeeeeewwwwww, look at all the dust that was created by the tilers needing to grind some of the concrete as we are having the tiles glued so we don't lose too much of the skirtings, they're also putting silicone around all the edges (a little more expensive but worth it) instead of grout for a better finish and no chance of cracking like you get with grout. We'll have white silicone along the skirting edge and grey around the kitchen bench's as white would've looked ghastly against the charcoal


my built-in microwave hasn't been installed as yet, due to it being a convection oven they may need to add extra ventilation 



ooooh I don't like how the tiles look orange in this light...ewwww


Comments:

Merryn. Courtney Said - Looking incredible Michelle, the appliances have made the whole kitchen pop!

Julie. Chadwick Said - Yay, we have the same appliances, I wish I had thought to have the microwave built-in tho :(  never mind. I guess you don't think of these things until you see someone else do it and then you think, 'why didn't I think of that'?, seems to be the story of my life lol.  

No comments:

Post a Comment