Thursday 26 February 2015

The prep...



I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Boy what a job it was rubbing these back! It probably took me longer than it should've but I'm happy with the job done so far.
I know I probably should've used paint stripper (to make it easier), but I just couldn't wait to finally get started and the last thing I wanted to do was wonder around Bunnings for 3 or so hours like always!
As it turned out I had to after my once faithful sander gave up on me after sanding back the drawers of the bedside table....bummer!

So only spending about 45 mins (I'm so indecisive), I ended up buying a new one in the form of a Ryobi orbital sander ($79) complete with 8 spare discs ranging from 60-240 grit, a dust filter and a bag...woohoo a new toy!
I felt like a kid in a candy shop when I got to the counter

So after getting back home and completing my first mission of taking it all back to bare timber, I was finally ready to give it all its first coat of Black Japan stain



I let the first coat seep through and had to let it dry for a couple of hours


Completing the second coat this afternoon on the first half of the desk and bedside, as much as I love how it looks, I'm worried that it maybe just a little too dark so I'm going to let this dry overnight and see how it is once I sand it back a little to prep it for the wax and buff



No comments:

Post a Comment