Wednesday 15 October 2014

Sydney Storms and wee little Creatures

How crazy were those storms last night? 

We had powerful winds, heavy rain and the most ferocious thunder you could imagine.

It all started late Monday night with a little bit of wind but no rain in sight.

Due to our trees in the far back of the property being 'Heritage listed' pine trees (so we cant have them removed), they tend to drop pine nettles causing all sorts of chaos with the pool an trying to keep it clean during heavy winds is pretty damn well impossible.

So after going out to pick up Oscar (my trusty furry friend) from the doggy pampering salon just before the boys got home from school, I noticed that the wind had started to pick up quite a bit on my way back home as the car shook about (usually the only time it shakes is when I get my grove on and bop away to my beats).

 As soon as I got home and went to have a look at the pool area and pool filter.....ewwwww what a bloody mess!

So I spent the next hour or so cleaning up.

Then during the course of the evening, the storms got closer with loud claps of electrical thunder that shook every window and rattled every door in the house.

The lighting was even more ferocious with the sky lighting up like a Christmas tree...it was awesome to watch.

I had both boys in bed with me (I had no sleep at all), as Geoff was away on business which is probably good timing as the bed isn't big enough for 4 people!


When I got up this morning, I had a look at the pool area from the billiard room window only to find that it was all good and no damage had been done (or flooding occurred) like last month!

I also noticed a small dark spot on the edge of the pool and wondered what it could be, so I grabbed  my iPhone so I could zoom in closer as I didn't want to go outside just in case! 

I couldn't quite tell what it was until it started to move!
It was about the size of my hand (looking at the size of it from a distance) but I just couldn't think what it could be.
So it got the better of me when I saw it had a tail and started scurrying along the wall of the hut and along the edge of the pool.
Not wanting it to get hurt or drown, I grabbed my big camera and went outside to take a closer look
It was the cutest thing I've ever seen and thought that it maybe a tiny wee baby possum

It even allowed me to get really close (by this time I'm tip toeing so as not to scare it) but not close enough to catch it.

Eventually it ran off but not before heading in the direction of Oscar who was watching from the alfresco 
Licking his lips, I'm sure he thought all his Christmas's had come at once, but being the gentle adorabubble that he is (Maltese x Shi-Zhu), he just looked at it and turned away...thank goodness!

So off it ran towards the open bi-fold door and I thought for sure it would go inside but stopped at the edge and I tried ever so hard to grab it gently but it was so quick...or I was just too slow, either or, and went back into the pool area...grrr.
Am I going to spend all morning trying to catch this thing whatever it was?

Turns out no, so I just let it leave in it's own time and uploaded the photo's that I took of it

Here it is in a little sequence of how I saw it:

at first glance...mmmm it has a tail

mmmm, it's not a rat as it doesn't have a long snout...
 could it be a wee little possum?


a little closer....
nah, it has to be a little mouse or something of that nature

I thought it may have been a pet or it was just scared as it just let me get really close ...
could it be a field mouse? I wondered
how cute is that face?

Awwwwww so cute....
longer fingernails than mine!

she even looked at me...
it's as though she's trying to tell me to pick her up, cuddle her and keep her warm!



So after still being curious as to what it was, I looked on the net and here's what I came up with:

weeeee little field mice!


....yes it's obviously a field mouse then

I sure hope that he/she got home safe and sound and didn't find itself in the mouth of an owl or kitty cat! 


When I came inside, I switched on the morning news and couldn't believe how much damage was done overnight in such a short period of time.

Dumbfounded to hear that even the Blue Mountains got some snow... Snow this time of year...how bizarre!

Here's some footage from sky news


No comments:

Post a Comment