Thursday 5 March 2015

Ta da...




It's surprising what you can do with a little bit of imagination and creativity!

It helps if you can find what you need for nothing or very little spending and I found both!

I bought the pine bedside off eBay for $20 and the hardwood dining suite was given to me by our lovely neighbours who was selling it on eBay to which no-one had bid for.

And he cut it to size for me since he's a builder and has all the tools...woohoo!

Because the wall that I wanted it to go on was 3300mm and the table being 1900mm x 1000mm, cutting it down the centre to give 2 halves (width now 500mm each) would've been too long, so he took 250mm off the end to make the 2 halves at 1650mm x 500mm each which was perfect as the bedside would be the support for the centre.

Since there wasn't going to be anything heavy on the desks, I felt that there was no need to put any battens on the back wall however, I put a batten on each end to keep it stable


By the time I got around to sanding it last Thursday, I finished it completely by Saturday afternoon and I think it's turned out pretty damn good considering I had no help!

It took a lot of elbow grease I have to admit, and quite a few sanding discs too...phew!

But I'm flabbergasted by how much more room it gives me and how it makes the room look sooooooo much bigger now!

Oh, and I had to pop on some 40mm round timber feet on the bedside to raise the height that the table would've been with the legs on 







I also scavenged around my neighbourhood for some timber (saves me buying it) that I could use as a batten to fix the top to the side walls, a very accommodating tradie allowed me to hunt in his rubbish pile to find the right one...a 1metre piece of 4x2...purrrrrfect!

I cut that at 450mm x 2 and fixed them to the walls using (3) toggle bolts in each as the studs didn't line up



I had to cut a piece out (on either side) of the decorative top on the drawers (using a jig-saw) to allow me to fit the facing on as i didn't want any gaps



I also cut a hole for all the cords in the top with a hole saw and placed plastic cover on it


I'm really happy with the colour of the stain and it matches up perfectly with the buffet that I bought off eBay a couple of weeks back see here




After putting it all together on Sunday, I went and done a little decor shopping and seen these frames at K-Mart for $6 ea and bought some wooden letters (x & o) from Spotlight too and just painted them black and white and hot glued them to the (painted) backing of the frame




I printed off a nice saying that I've always loved..."If you can dream it, you can do it" how fitting is that saying?























I printed off black and white stripes to put in this one














I also bought some floating shelves from Bunnings @ $21 ea


So here is a reminder of what the room looked like before...


looks pretty small and somewhat compacted hey?


So the end tally for my new home office is...

Table - $0
Bedside drawer - $20
Buffet - $50
Floating shelves x2 - $42
Orbital sander - $79
Frames - $24
Material - $10
Wooden lettering - $13.50
Toggle bolts - $9
Timber batten - $0
Timber feet - $20
Elbow grease - priceless!

Bal = $267.50
Less sale of old desk - $250

Total cost = $17.50





No comments:

Post a Comment